Environmental Impact Assessment plays a crucial role in environmental land use planning and has been known as the most effective approach to identifies proposed impacts of the projects and followed that proposing mitigation measures. Mathematical matrix is one of the environmental impact assessment methods that has been used extensively since it provides incorporate impact compensation factors, expert discussion, and provide more objective and practical feedback. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the environmental impacts of the Bistoon thermal power plant located in the west of Iran using the matrix method and proposing mitigation measures for minimizing the adverse effects. First, the activities of the project were identified. Then, environmental components, including physical environment, biological environment, socio-economic environment, were analyzed using maps and field checks. The impacts of the project activities were predicted on the environment and quantified using the mathematical matrix method. The results illustrated that the importance of effects is in a medium and low range; therefore, the status of the project is not very serious and can be verified by implementing a series of remedial actions and environmental improvement plans.
Environmental Impact Assessment, Mathematical Matrix, Mitigation measures, Thermal Power plant
- L.-S. Lau, C.-K. Choong, and Y.-K. Eng, “Investigation of the environmental Kuznets curve for carbon emissions in Malaysia: do foreign direct investment and trade matter?,” Energy Policy, vol. 68, pp. 490–497, 2014.
- K. Liu and B. Lin, “Research on influencing factors of environmental pollution in China: A spatial econometric analysis,” J. Clean. Prod., vol. 206, pp. 356–364, 2019.
- H. Karimi et al., “Site selection and environmental risks assessment of medical solid waste landfill for the City of Kermanshah-Iran,” Int. J. Environ. Health Res., pp. 1–13, 2020.
- X. Chen, S. Shao, Z. Tian, Z. Xie, and P. Yin, “Impacts of air pollution and its spatial spillover effect on public health based on China’s big data sample,” J. Clean. Prod., vol. 142, pp. 915–925, 2017.
- H. Karimi, A. Soffianian, N. Mirghaffari, and S. Soltani, “Determining air pollution potential using geographic information systems and multi-criteria evaluation: A case study in isfahan province in Iran,” Environ. Process., vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 229–246, 2016.
- M. Mirzaei, A. S. Mahiny, S. H. Mirkarimi, and H. Moradi, “First implementation of improved mathematical matrices for environmental impact assessment using quality criteria: A case study in Golpayegan township compost plant, Iran,” World Appl. Sci. J., vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 718–29, 2012.
- L. A. Bojórquez-Tapia, E. Ezcurra, and O. Garcia, “Appraisal of environmental impacts and mitigation measures through mathematical matrices,” J. Environ. Manage., vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 91–99, 1998.
- A. S. Mahiny, I. Momeni, and S. Karimi, “Towards improvement of environmental impact assessment methods-a case study in Golestan Province, Iran,” World Appl. Sci. J., vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 151–159, 2011.