In the current study, Zinc oxide (ZnO) thin films have been synthesized over the whole the glass-slide substrate by utilizing the physical vapor deposition (PVD) technique. The Zinc (Zn) seed layer was deposited by heating the high purity Zn powder by using a molybdenum (Mo) boat at 37.503×10-3 Torr vacuum pressure of the PVD chamber. The ZnO thin films were fabricated by oxidation of the Zn seed layer coated glass-slide substrate at 400 °C. The morphological, chemical compositions, crystal quality, structural and optical properties of fabricated ZnO thin film were characterized and studied utilizing several characterization techniques. The results found that the high distribution density, homogenous, uniform, and high-quality ZnO thin film was grown over the entire substrate. The synthesized ZnO thin film with a thickness of 130 nm was grown with high purity and polycrystalline hexagonal-Wurtzite phase of ZnO. The sharp, and dominant diffraction peak was observed at peak position 34.3375 along (002) plane and c-axis. The investigated crystal size, dislocation density, and interplanar spacing were about 13.33 nm, 5.63×10-5 A°, and 2.609 A°, respectively. Also, UV-visible spectroscopy results show the high transmittance and low absorbance in the visible (Vis.) region and were about 90%, and the transmittance decreases sharply near the UV region at a wavelength around 383 nm. Besides, obtained the energy band-gap (Eg) was about 3.24 eV.
Zinc Oxide, Thin Films, PVD, Molybdenum boat, Glass Substrate
- G. Xiangdong, L. Xiaomin, and Y. Weidong, “Preparation and characterization of highly oriented ZnO film by ultrasonic assisted SILAR method”, Journal Wuhan University of Technology, Materials Science Edition, vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 23–26, 2005.
- D Aryanto, W N Jannah, Masturi, T Sudiro, A. S Wismogroho, Sugianto, P Marwoto, and P Sebayang, “Preparation and structural characterization of ZnO thin films by sol-gel method”, IOP Conf. Series: Journal of Physics: Conf. Series 817, pp. 012025, 2017.
- Ahmed F. Abdulrahman, Sabah M. Ahmed and Naser M. Ahmed, “The Influence of the Growth Time on the Size and Alignment of ZnO Nanorods”, Science Journal of UOZ, Vol. 5, No.1, p. 128-135, 2017.
- S. A. Kamaruddin, K-Y. Chan, H-K. Yow, M. Z. Sahdan, H. Saim and D. Knipp,“ Luminescence characteristics of energy transfer between Ce3+ and Eu2+ in NaMgPO4 phosphor”, Appl. Phys. A Vol.104, pp. 263, 2011.
- A. Gahtar, A. Rahal, B. Benhaoua and S. Benramache, “A comparative study on structural and optical properties of ZnO and Al-doped ZnO thin films obtained by ultrasonic spray method using different solvents”, Optik, Vol. 125 pp. 3674, 2014.
- I. Jena, S. N. Das, D. K. Mishra and G. Bose, “Thickness dependent microstructure of ZnO films prepared by spin coating technique”,Int. J. Nano and Biomaterials, Vol. 5, pp. 287, 2014.
- Abdulrahman, A.F., “The effect of different substrate-inclined angles on the characteristic properties of ZnO nanorods for UV photodetectors applications”, J Mater Sci: Mater Electron, Vol. 31, pp.14357–14374, 2020.
- A. F. Abdulrahman, S. M Ahmed, N. M Ahmed and M. A Almessiere, “Fabrication, characterization of ZnO nanorods on the flexible substrate (Kapton tape) via chemical bath deposition for UV photodetector applications”, AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1875, No. 1, pp. 020004, 2017.
- Ü. Özgür, Y. I. Alivov, C. Liu, A. Teke, M. A. Reshchikov, S., Dogan , V. Avrutin, S-J. Cho and H. Morkoç, “A comprehensive review of ZnO materials and devices”,J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 98, pp. 041301, 2005.
- W. Yang, Z. Liu, D-L. Peng, F. Zhang, H. Huang, Y. Xie and Z. Wu, “Room-temperature deposition of transparent conducting Al-doped ZnO films by RF magnetron sputtering method”,Appl. Surf. Sci., Vol. 255, pp.5669, 2009.
- K. Tanaka, T. Minemoto, and H. Takakura, “Analysis of heterointerface recombination by Zn1-xMgxO for window layer of Cu(In,Ga)Se2 solar cells”,Solar Energy, Vol. 83, pp. 477, 2009.
- J. Dutta, A. V. Singh, S. Singhal and M. D. Upadhayay, “Design and simulation of a zinc oxide thin film bulk acoustic resonator filter for 2.6 GHz band applications”, IETE J. Res, Vol.62 (1), pp.3-8, 2016.
- E. B. Magnusson, B. H. Williams, R. Manenti, M-S. Nam, A. Nersisyan, M. J. Peterer, A. Ardavan, and P. J. Leek, “Surface Acoustic Wave Devices on Bulk ZnO at Low Temperature”, Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 106, pp. 063509, 2015.
- A. F. Abdulrahman, S. M. Ahmed and M. A. Almessiere, “Effect of the Growth Time on the Optical Properties of ZnO Nanorods Grown By Low Temperature Method”, Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 1001-1009, 2017.
- D. Aryanto, P. Marwoto, T. Sudiro, M. D. Birowosuto, Sugianto and Sulhadi, “Structure evolution of zinc oxide thin films deposited by unbalance DC magnetron sputtering”, AIP Conf. Proc. (New York: AIP Publishing), Vol.1729, No. 1, pp. 020039, 2016.
- M. Ying, S. Wang, T. Duan, B. Liao, X. Zhang, Z. Mei, X. Du, F. M. Gerriu, A. M. Fox, and G. A. Gehring, “The structure, optical and magnetic properties of arsenic implanted ZnO films prepared by molecular beam epitaxy”, Mater. Lett., Vol. 171, pp. 121-124, 2016.
- M. A. Boukadhaba, A. Fouzri, V. Sallet, S. S. Hassani, G. Amiri, A. Lusson, and M. Oumezzine, “Characterization of ZnO thin film grown on c-plane substrates by MO-CVD: Effect of substrate annealing temperature, vicinal-cut angle and miscut direction”, Superlattices and Microstruct., Vol. 85, pp. 820, 2015.
- Abdulrahman, Ahmed Fattah "The Influence of Various Reactants in the Growth Solution on the Morphological and Structural Properties of ZnO Nanorods", Passer Journal: Vol. 2: Iss. 2, Article 3, 2020.
- R.Garcia-Gutierrez, R. Rangel-Segura, M. Barboza-Flores, O. E. Contreras-Lopez, and D. Berman-Mendoza,“Luminescence and Structure of ZnO Grown by Physical Vapor Deposition”, Advances in Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 2012, ID 872597, 5 pages, 2012.
- R. Y. Mohammed, B. M. Ilyas, “Comparative study of chemically deposited CdS thin films and of the non-synthesized CdSO under pressure and temperature within first principles”, Materials Today Communications, Vol. 25, pp.101518, 2020
- R. Y. Mohammed, S. Abduol, A. M. Mousa, “Correlation between Optical and Structural Properties of Chemically deposited CdS Thin Films”, International Letters of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy, ISSN: 2299-3843, Vol. 30, pp 146-158, 2014.
- A. F. Abdulrahman, S. M. Ahmed, N. M. Ahmed and M. A. Almessiere, “different substrates effects on the topography and the structure of the ZnO nanorods grown by chemical bath deposition method” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 1007–1016, 2016.
- A. F. Abdulrahman, S. M. Ahmed, N. M. Ahmed and M. A. Almessiere, “Novel Process Using Oxygen and Air Bubbling In Chemical Bath Deposition Method For Vertically Well Aligned Arrays Of ZnO Nanorods”, Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, Vol. 11, No. 4, p. 1073-1082, October - December, 2016.
- K. A. Mohammed, S. M. A. and R. Y. Mohammed, "Investigation of Structure, Optical, and Electrical Properties of CuS Thin Films by CBD Technique," crystals, Vol. 10, No. 8, pp. 684, 2020.
- A. K. Qasim, L. A. Jamil, and A. F. Abdulrahman, “Synthesis of Rutile-Tio2 Nanorod Arrays for Efficient Solar Water Splitting Via Microwave-Assisted Hydrothermal Method”, Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, Vol. 15, No. 1, , pp. 157 - 165, January – March, 2020.