During the past decades, sport, in general, has become one of the most powerful competitions and the most popular in the world. As well as, everyone is waiting for the winner, and who will be the champion in the end in different tournaments. Among these sports, football's popularity is more than all other sports. Football matches results predicting, as well as the champion in various competitions, has been seriously studied in recent years. Moreover, it has become an interesting field for many researchers. In this work, the Poisson model has been presented to predict the winner, draw, and loser from the football matches. The method is applied to the Spanish Primera División (First Division) in 2016-2017; the data has been downloaded from the football-data.co.uk website, which will be used to find the prediction accuracy.
IoT, Poisson model, Likelihood Estimation, Football, Football Outcomes, La Liga, Goal Expectancy, Internet of Things
- D. A. Zebari, H. Haron, S. R. Zeebaree, and D. Q. Zeebaree, "Enhance the mammogram images for both segmentation and feature extraction using wavelet transform," in 2019 International Conference on Advanced Science and Engineering (ICOASE), 2019, pp. 100-105.
- Z. A. Younis, A. M. Abdulazeez, S. R. Zeebaree, R. R. Zebari, and D. Q. Zeebaree, "Mobile Ad Hoc Network in Disaster Area Network Scenario: A Review on Routing Protocols," International Journal of Online & Biomedical Engineering, vol. 17, 2021.
- K. W. HamaAli and S. R. Zeebaree, "Resources allocation for distributed systems: A review," International Journal of Science and Business, vol. 5, pp. 76-88, 2021.
- E. F. Saraiva, A. K. Suzuki, and F. Louzada, "Predicting football scores via Poisson regression model: applications to the National Football League," Communications for Statistical Applications and Methods, vol. 23, pp. 297-319, 2016.
- L. A. Gilch, "Prediction Model for the Africa Cup of Nations 2019 via Nested Poisson Regression," African Journal of Applied Statistics, vol. 6, pp. 599-616, 2019.
- B. H. Husain and S. R. Zeebaree, "Improvised distributions framework of hadoop: A review," International Journal of Science and Business, vol. 5, pp. 31-41, 2021.
- M. J. Sadeeq and S. R. Zeebaree, "Semantic Search Engine Optimisation (SSEO) for dynamic websites: A review," International Journal of Science and Business, vol. 5, pp. 148-158, 2021.
- A. G. James, "MATH Assignment in Mathematics. Modeling and Simulating Football Results - PDF Free Download.," 2020.
- M. J. Ahmed and S. R. Zeebaree, "Design and implementation an e-hospital system at kurdistan," Kurdistan Journal of Applied Research, vol. 2, pp. 80-86, 2017.
- H. R. Azhari, Y. Widyaningsih, and D. Lestari, "Predicting Final Result of Football Match Using Poisson Regression Model," in Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2018, p. 012066.
- L. M. Abdulrahman, S. R. Zeebaree, S. F. Kak, M. A. Sadeeq, A.-Z. Adel, B. W. Salim, et al., "A state of art for smart gateways issues and modification," Asian Journal of Research in Computer Science, pp. 1-13, 2021.
- M. A. Sulaiman, M. Sadeeq, A. S. Abdulraheem, and A. I. Abdulla, "Analyzation study for gamification examination fields," Technol. Rep. Kansai Univ, vol. 62, pp. 2319-2328, 2020.
- J. Sarkar, "Poisson Distribution in Sports Betting - A Step by Step Guide," 2020.
- N. O. Salim, S. R. Zeebaree, M. A. Sadeeq, A. Radie, H. M. Shukur, and Z. N. Rashid, "Study for Food Recognition System Using Deep Learning," in Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 2021, p. 012014.
- F. Q. Kareem, S. R. Zeebaree, H. I. Dino, M. A. Sadeeq, Z. N. Rashid, D. A. Hasan, et al., "A survey of optical fiber communications: challenges and processing time influences," Asian Journal of Research in Computer Science, pp. 48-58, 2021.
- A. Lund and M. Lund, "Poisson Regression Analysis Using SPSS Statistics," ed: Retrieved at July 1st, 2016.
- D. A. Hasan, S. R. Zeebaree, M. A. Sadeeq, H. M. Shukur, R. R. Zebari, and A. H. Alkhayyat, "Machine Learning-based Diabetic Retinopathy Early Detection and Classification Systems-A Survey," in 2021 1st Babylon International Conference on Information Technology and Science (BICITS), 2021, pp. 16-21.
- A. A. Salih, S. Y. Ameen, S. R. Zeebaree, M. A. Sadeeq, S. F. Kak, N. Omar, et al., "Deep Learning Approaches for Intrusion Detection," Asian Journal of Research in Computer Science, pp. 50-64, 2021.
- J. Brooks-Bartlett, "Probability concepts explained: Maximum likelihood estimation," Retrieved from Towards Data Science: https://towardsdatascience. com/probability-conce pts-explained-maximum-likelihood-estimation-c7b4 342fdbb1, 2018.
- B. R. Ibrahim, F. M. Khalifa, S. R. Zeebaree, N. A. Othman, A. Alkhayyat, R. R. Zebari, et al., "Embedded System for Eye Blink Detection Using Machine Learning Technique," in 2021 1st Babylon International Conference on Information Technology and Science (BICITS), 2021, pp. 58-62.
- K. Miura, "An introduction to maximum likelihood estimation and information geometry," Interdisciplinary Information Sciences, vol. 17, pp. 155-174, 2011.
- R. Bruinsma, "Using Poisson regression to model football scores and exploit inaccuracies in the online betting market," 2020.
- D. Karlis and I. Ntzoufras, "Bayesian modelling of football outcomes: using the Skellam's distribution for the goal difference," IMA Journal of Management Mathematics, vol. 20, pp. 133-145, 2009.
- R. H. Koning, M. Koolhaas, G. Renes, and G. Ridder, "A simulation model for football championships," European Journal of Operational Research, vol. 148, pp. 268-276, 2003.
- B. Boldrin, "Predicting the result of English Premier League soccer games with the use of Poisson models," Master's thesis, Stetson University, DeLand, FL, 2017.